Monday, June 25, 2012

Photography

The art of photography is among my favourite creative hobbies. Although I'm not technically trained in the photography field and know very little about various makes and models of cameras, I have an eye for what makes an image worth capturing. Unlike the more complicated art forms, such as writing or painting, photography is much more accessible to the general population. Just about anyone can pick up a camera and snap a picture. Of course, not everyone is talented and there are some true genius photographers out there, but for the most part it's an easy enough craft to understand: aim and shoot. I'll always be intrigued and fascinated by the fact that we have this living breathing everchanging world around us, and we have invented the technology so that a 'passing moment' can be made immortal. I try to find these moments.

I wasn't very serious or passionate about photography until my sister and my brother-in-law bought me a digital camera for Christmas a couple years ago. Since then, my camera comes with me just about everywhere. Though I'm not one of those people that are constantly filming and getting in everyone's space and snapping thousands of pointless pictures, I do like to have my camera closeby for when I see an image that needs to be captured. I've always been much more comfortable behind the camera than in front of it. Some of my friends, Merv Quantas I'm looking at you, were born to perform for an audience. I was born to be the audience, the observer, the director.

As far as inspiration goes, I find myself drawn to nature landscapes, musical symbols, found objects (the more random the better), delicious food shots, live music, the antics of friends, any and every part of my girl ChinaCat Sunflower, and real moments where nobody knows I'm about to take a picture. This last one isn't as creepy as it sounds, what I mean is that I hate the 'say cheese' mentality where the subject is trying to make the picture happen. I'd rather my subjects just act natural and I'll find the moment to press the button, those are usually my favourite pictures.

Below, I've included 13 favourite photographs from my personal collection. I took all of these myself, and I'd like to think there's something interesting about each of them. As you'll see, my photographic tastes are quite simple, and you'll be able to get a better idea of what makes me happy in 'real life'. Enjoy!


This is the first picture ever taken with my camera


Guy Dudeman's family dog: Stevie Ray


Is that sign really necessary?


Corlin Rosewater: the Tool eye tattoo



What do you see in that cloud?


No comments:

Post a Comment