Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Henry Rollins says...

'To this day, it is extremely difficult for me to be at ease around people. I do the best I can, but sometimes it's a struggle. If no one ever showed up to one of my gigs ever again starting tomorrow, I would not be surprised in the least. People get tired of what you're doing and they go somewhere else. That's my relationship with people. They are the ones that might change their minds and attack me at any moment. I rarely equate loyalty with people. I foolishly give interviewers the truth and so many times, I have been burned. Imagine being compromised by one of those guys. If we were in the jungle, they would be in the pot and I'd be stirring - that's for fucking sure. I don't mean to be negative, but this is the truth. I want you to know. Here's some more. I don't know you. But I like you. When I see you at shows year after year it makes life worth hanging around for. I've been doing this for thirteen years now. This is not my hobby until I go to college. This is what I do. This is who I am. I am a guy who used to work at an ice cream store in Washington DC. I am of average intelligence. There's nothing special about me. If I can get this far, I would be very surprised if you couldn't get at least twice as far. Fuck them. Keep your blood clean, your body lean and your mind sharp.'

-Henry Rollins ('Afterword', Get in the Van: On the Road with Black Flag, Henry Rollins, 1994)

No comments:

Post a Comment