Monday, August 6, 2012

...veins...: A Brief Explanation

The short-short story that I'm posting today, titled ...veins..., is the most recent piece of fiction that I've written. As my editing experience grows, I find myself going back and revising older works rather than creating new ones. The story is quite short, but I feel that it is complete enough to stand alone, at least for now. As with any of my shorter stories, there's always a chance they'll grow into a full-length story, and I think in this case, there's a lot to work with.

The basic premise of the story is: A man meets a woman in a public food court. They clearly have history between them and they share a secret, but in the moment, none of this is revealed. I play around a lot with subtext, implication, and a bit of murder mystery and surrealism mixed in. I wanted to see if I could portray an entire relationship dynamic within the context of one very heavy conversation. As for what It represents, that's up to you to decide. I like to think that it's an incriminating 'trophy' that they lifted from ones of their shared victims. But as always, my fiction is open to your interpretation.

The inspiration for this story is a mystery to me. It was one of those moments where my mind was wandering and my creative window was open to any characters, dialogue, or scenes that float through. Writers know what this feels like. Although I was working my way through the Dexter series, so that show may have influenced this story. There's also my usual themes of death, twisted romance, and of course, leaving questions unanswered. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment