Sunday, October 7, 2012

Ernest Hemingway also says...

'Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words? He thinks I don't know the ten-dollar words. I know them all right. But there are older and simpler and better words, and those are the ones I use.'

- Ernest Hemingway (A quote featured in Papa Hemingway, A.E. Hotchner, 1966)

Note: The actual date of this quote is unknown, so I went with the year that it was published. I completely agree with Hemingway's philosophy towards language and how to use it in order to write effectively. I acknowledge that literature is a great way for people to learn new words and phrases and to add to their vocabulary, but at the same time, every moment that a reader is wondering about a definition or looking at a dictionary is one less moment that they're engaged in the narrative. Like Hemingway, I also know how to use the fancy words, I just usually choose not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment