Sunday, October 7, 2012

Ernest Hemingway says...

'Then there is the other secret. There isn't any symbolysm. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is shit. What goes beyond is what you see beyond when you know.'

- Ernest Hemingway (excerpt from a letter to Bernard Berenson, Ernest Hemingway, 1952)

Note: I've only read one of his stories, but the more I Hemingway quotes I read, the more I admire this guy. Of course, the story I read was The Old Man and the Sea, back in high school, and I would have loved to bust this quote out on Ms. Lang when we were spending weeks studying the symbolism and underlying themes. If the writer himself says there's nothing to read into, then all the english majors in the world can't argue with that. But analyzing can be so, so fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment