Monday, October 1, 2012

The Fool says...

'I marvel what kin thou and thy daughters are. They'll have me whipped for speaking true; thou'lt have me whipped for lying; and sometimes I am whipped for holding my peace. I had rather be any kind o' thing than a fool, and yet I would not be thee, nuncle: thou hast pared thy wit o' both sides and left nothing i' th' middle.'
-The Fool (King Lear, William Shakespeare, early 1600s)

Note: I'm not the world's biggest Shakespeare fan, but I do respect the man's ability to mix humour with heartbreak, wisdom with insults, and violence with romance. I read my fair share of Shakespeare back in the high school and college days, and King Lear has always been my favourite work of his, and The Fool is easily one of my all-time favourite Shakespearean characters. He's the only one that can tell the stubborn King Lear any sort of truth or criticism, because he's a fool that no one takes seriously. Yet, somehow, he's the most intelligent and wise character in this play. I won't bust out the Shakespeare too often on here, but today felt like a good day for it. Oh, and the date is vague because there are multiple editions, but we know that the first version was written between 1603 - 1606, then revised and re-issued later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment