Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Post Thanksgiving Thanksgiving Post

Now, I don't usually write holiday-themed posts, but something about this past (Canadian) Thanksgiving weekend has me inspired. From the dubious origins of the holiday all the way to what the idea of Thanksgiving has transformed into, it's a great excuse to eat a fat turkey and gather around loved ones. There's Christmas for appreciating family, friends, and presents, Valentine's Day for romance, Halloween for some fun and horror, and then we have this holiday whose meaning has been morphed into, essentially, a day to just be happy you're alive. I guess if every other day of the year is a time to reflect on what you wish you had or how things could have gone, we have Thanksgiving as a reminder to stop and appreciate the simple fact that we're alive, and all the awesomeness that comes along with that package deal. So, I'll do my part by listing 27 things that I am thankful for on this holiday Monday. I'll present it in the order that these pop into my head. Here goes:

I'm thankful for...

1. Chinacat Sunflower, my best source of happiness, support, and loving.

2. Music. Rock and roll, alternative, funk, blues, folk, just about any kind of music that gets me through the day and inspires me. Don't tell my human friends, but Music really is my best buddy.

3. My human friends, who are always good for a conversation, a jam session, or some nature time.

4. My older brother, who really is just a friend of mine. He helped shaped my (nerdy) interests and taught me a lot about life (and how to be evil) along the way.

5. The fact that I have a house to live in, a stocked fridge, a warm bed.

6. Perry. Perry is my car, named after his periwinkle colour tone. He's kind of a piece of crap, and he's been through a lot over the years, but I've come to think of him as a second home, a place where I can blast my music and get lost in my thoughts and get to wherever I need to be.

7. The fact that, while it's not a full-time position or enough to fully live on, I'm getting the chance to work as a freelance editor and put my education to good use.

8. My secondary education. I might have hated the process at the time, but looking back, going to college and university was an great experience. And it's awesome to be able to carry an intellectual conversation.

9. Conversation. Whether with a random stranger or a close friend, I'm thankful for anyone who knows how to have a meaningful conversation.

10. The sunshine. I'm thankful for it now more than ever, because it's early October and I'm STILL able to wear shorts and sandals. Hell, my friends even swam in a lake yesterday. Not too bad for 'Autumn'. For a giant blazing ball in the sky, the sunshine does wonders for just about anyone's mood. Keep on shining!

11. Mother nature. Trees, rocks, rivers, lakes, beaches, mountains, the beautiful blue sky, intense rainfalls, a landscape coated in snow (when I don't have to be in it), it's all a great source of entertainment and self-reflection. Put me next to a river, on a beach, or in the forest, and I'm a happy dude.

12. My piano keyboard. It was quite a slow start, considering I bought it about 4 years ago, but I'm finally learning how to play this thing and I love it. From jamming with my friends to learning the blues scales to composing my own songs, it's an amazing form of expression and a great way to pass the time.

13. A strong cup of coffee, with a lot of cream and a little sugar.

14. A frosty pint of beer, or a bottle, or a sleeve, can, anything that carries beer and allows me to drink it. Thank you.

15. Recreational (natural) substances. Enough said :)

16. My laptop, named Black Shadow Thunder, because I've had him (notice I like to personalize my inanimate objects, eh?) for two years now and he's never given me any trouble. My laptop allows me to write, listen to music, watch television and films, read, and learn. All from the comfort of my bed!

17. Television. Maybe not entirely as a medium, because TV is capable of doing a lot of harm for general intelligence and the destruction of brain cells, but I'm thankful for well written, well acted, hilarious or dramatic television. I think that TV can be a helpful source of entertainment, as long as you know how to use it.

18. Films. Same as television, an awesome form on entertainment, from the mindless variety to mind-blowing films that have me rethinking everything. I'm thankful for actors, screenwriters, directors, producers, and anyone else involved that gives their life and their heart and soul to providing the general public with an hour or two of escapism.

19. My ipod/ipod alarm clock. I've had the same ipod for over 5 years now, and while it may be severely outdated, it's still there for me everytime I press play.

20. I guess, you know, I'm thankful for living in a (mostly) peaceful part of the world where my life isn't constantly in danger and I'm not starving. It's a hard thing to truly be thankful for, when you think about how others are suffering worldwide, but I can admit that in the birth lottery, I did quite alright.

21. That being said, I'm thankful for Canada. More specifically, British Columbia. Even more specifically, Maple Ridge, for having some of the sweetest nature spots I could imagine. And it's a nice close distance to the City of Vancouver, which is a piece of art in itself.

22. Food. It seems quite general, but if I tried to get specific then the list would go on forever. So just...food. Anything that I can eat and it tastes delicious and doesn't make me sick.

23. I'm really thankful that I was born at a time where the world was already up and running. I'm very appreciative that things like electricity and transportation was already sorted out when I got here. I mean, there's always progress to be made, but being born in the 1980s sure as hell beats being born in the Dark Ages, I would imagine.

24. This shouldn't be so low on the list, but I'm thankful everyday (even if it's a love-hate situation, and even if I seem cocky for mentioning it) that I have the natural ability to express myself through writing, both personal narrative and fiction. Although it's a talent that can be learned, I'm super grateful that I was born with a knack for the written world. Now let's see if I can make money from it!

25. My parents, for being there for me, the way parents do.

26. It may be a cop out, but I'm using this slot to be thankful for any other aspect of my life or this world that I may have left out. It's my list, I can do what I want.

27. Finally, I'm thankful that I have a forum like this, which gives me the opportunity to
share, discuss, and learn from others about this crazy world and the people living in it. On top of that, I'm thankful for anyone, anywhere, anytime, who reads something that I've written.

No comments:

Post a Comment