Sunday, December 16, 2012

Visual: Guy Pearce - 6 Transformations

Recently, I had the chance to see Lawless (written by Nick Cave, directed by John Hillcoat, and based on the novel by Matt Bondurant). I've been interested in this film since it came out in the summer, which is a little strange because I don't usually get excited about cowboy tales or Shia Lebeouf. That being said, I very much appreciated John Hillcoat's direction in The Road, and simple math tells me that one Gary Oldman, one Guy Pearce, and one Tom Hardy will always beat one Shia Lebeouf (who is actually pretty impressive in this, compared to the previous roles he's known for). While the movie was entertaining, well-acted, and scratched my itch for a good old fashioned 'guy movie', I did have some problems with some of the story choices and cinematography. There were some brilliantly crafted scenes and some memorable violence, so the positive aspects of the film are enough for me to recommend it.

The highlight of this film, as expected, is the round of great performances turned in by Hardy as a grumbling cowboy, Oldman as an ominous old-time gangster, and Pearce as one of the creepiest, most loathsome villains I've ever seen in film. And seeing how these 3 masters of character acting once again transformed completely for their roles in Lawless, I was inspired to put together a series of photosets celebrating the ability of each of these actors to transform into their character, sometimes to the point where they are entirely unrecognizable. Keep in mind that these photosets are in no way a complete representation of all of the outstanding performances by these three actors, just some of my favourite transformations they've each created.








Image #1: Captain John Boyd, Ravenous, 1999

Image #2: Leonard Shelby, Memento, 2000

Image #3: Andy Warhol, Factory Girl, 2006

Image #4: The Veteran, The Road, 2009

Image #5: Peter Weyland, Prometheus, 2012

Image #6: Charlie Rakes, Lawless, 2012

Full credit to whoever is responsible for these screenshots, thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment