Sunday, January 27, 2013

Ben Harper says...

'Like my father, and his father, and his father before, watch the soil burn in the fire, war after war, done things I didn't know I could, for the common good, tomorrow, I ride at dawn, give a man a hundred years, he'll want a hundred more, give him a hundred choices, and he still chooses war, from Salem Poor to Genghis Khan, tomorrow I ride at dawn..I was born for battle, I was born to bleed, and I was born to help those who have dreams of being free, mother stop your crying, sister dry your eyes, you'll hear my medals ringing from Shreveport to Shabagan, tomorrow, I ride at dawn..At first light, I march to battle, not my own life, but my brother's I must save, and when you hear those pipes and drummers, you'll know I march to glory, or proudly to my grave, tell my loved ones, they must carry on, tomorrow I ride at dawn, oh, tomorrow I ride at dawn.'

Ben Harper ('I Ride at Dawn', Get Up!, Ben Harper with Charlie Musselwhite, 2013)

Note: I'm not a religious man, but Ben Harper releasing a new full-on blues album feels a lot like heaven to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment