Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Visual: 6 Favourite 'Chew' Covers

In November, the Chew comic released Issue #30, marking the halfway point in the 60-issue series. With the first half of this creative and colourful comic series finished, I thought it was time to celebrate my 6 favourite covers from the first half. Along withThe Walking Dead, this is the best graphic novel that I've read, though I am fairly new to the medium and have a lot of catching up to do.

Although the plots are sometimes a little too ridiculous for my tastes, what keeps me interested in Chew is the unique and often disgusting animation style, the witty dialogue and odd characterization, and the tons and tons of hidden jokes embedded in just about every frame. Oh, and the idea of a world where chicken is banned and people have food-related superpower abilities is definitely original enough to keep me reading until the end, which creator John Layman has confirmed will be Issue 60. If Issues 1 - 30 are any indication, this series is only going to get weirder, grosser, and more unlike any other work of fiction that's out there.






Image #1: Issue 1

Image #2: Issue 5

Image #3: Issue 10

Image #4: Issue 13

Image #5: Issue 19

Image #6: Issue 30

Chew is written by John Layman, illustrated by Rob Guillory, and was created by Layman and Guillory in 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment